Exchange Rooms

Other Images

Legend
map legend

Venue Type & Location

Exhibition Hall

Site Name: Exchange Rooms
Location: Nottingham
County: Nottinghamshire
Location Type: Town - in town at determined location

Overview

  • Address: East End of the Market Place, facing West (opposite Long Row and Timber Hill). For a current map, Click Here.


  • Alternate Names: The Exchange


  • Performance Space Description: Information about this venue has not yet been compiled; however, some sense of the performance space may be gleaned by following the links at right. In particular:


  • See the 'Bibliographic Sources' link for a provisional list of venue-relevant resources (both primary and secondary). Wherever possible (i.e. when the pertinent text is relatively short and/or easily condensed) this material has been transcribed, and appears beneath the appropriate bibliographic citation.


  • See the 'Events at venue' link for a listing of blackface/minstrelsy-related events that took place in this performance space (with attached bibliographic references).


    Beth Marquis

  • Troupes at Exchange Rooms

    Events at Exchange Rooms

    Event Date Venue Location Troupe
    Exhibition 4 October 1847 - 8 October 1847 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire Ojibbeway Indians
    Lecture 31 March 1851 - 2 April 1851 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire Brown, William Wells, Craft, William

    Bibliographic Sources

    • A Stranger's Guide Through Nottingham (2nd ed.) p51. Transcribed in University of Bristol, Kathleen Barker Collection (KB/1)..




      ”In a spacious situation at the east end of the Market Place, and facing the west, is THE EXCHANGE, which is a large room seventy feet long by thirty feet broad, used for the public dinners of the Corporation, and other purposes where great space for the accommodation of an audience is required […] Sometimes concerts and public exhibitions of various kinds are permitted; and here the shows of the Horticultural society take place. […]



      It was originally built by the Corporation, about a hundred years ago, at an expence of £2400; the front being supported by pillars forming a piazza to correspond with the Long Row and Timber Hill , on the opposite sides of the Market Place. In the year 1822 it underwent great alterations. The columns were removed, and the piazza thrown open; the centre of the façade was enlarged, and a magnificent venetian window was substituted for the three niches in the old building […] It is now lighted with gas […]” (38-39, transcribed in Barker).