Site Name: Lecture Hall, Greenwich
County: London (city-county)
Location Type: Town - in town at determined location
Conclusive information about this venue has not been located. It is possible, however, that the Hall in question is the Lecture Hall of the Greenwich Society for the Acquisition and Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Some basic information about this Lecture Hall can be found below.
Address: North-west side of Royal Hill, Greenwich. For a current map, Click Here.
Performance Space Description: A contemporary image of the Lecture Hall (Click Here) shows it to be a large, rectangular room with no raised performance space, and a bust of Francis Bacon adorning one wall. The National Maritime Museum Website (at which this image is housed) also notes that– in this picture at least – the audience is “seated in raked tiers which sweep round the other three walls of the hall, with standing room at top back on the long side facing [the speaker]”. Further, the site continues, “there is a flat-centred, coved ceiling and a single gas luminaire, with an inverted shallow glass diffuser, hangs from the centre, lighting the whole” (ibid).
Typical Fare: Despite the literary/academic mantle of the Greenwich society, it appears that the Lecture Hall was used for a variety of social and entertainment purposes during the 1840s and 50s. An article in The Legal Observer, Digest, and Journal of Jurisprudence of February 17, 1849, for instance, observes that “the trustees of the society were in the habit of letting out the lecture hall for the accommodation of public meetings and for public exhibitions and of applying the proceeds to the general purposes of the society. The hall had been let out [...] on various occasions for the use of meetings to petition against the Corn Laws, for the People's Charter and for other purposes; and it was used for the exhibitions of the Ojibbeway Indians, the American Serenaders, General Tom Thumb, Indian jugglers, and other public exhibitions of a similar character” (324).
Little information about the history of the Lecture Hall has yet been located.
The building no longer stands, and its former site is now home to a portion of the 1939 Town Hall.