Parthenon Rooms

Other Images

Legend
map legend

Venue Type & Location

Multi-use

Site Name: Parthenon Rooms
Location: Liverpool
County: Lancashire
Location Type: Town - in town at determined location

Overview

  • Address: 32 Great Charlotte Street. For a current map, Click Here.


  • Alternate Names: Parthenon Music Hall, Royal Parthenon Assembly Rooms


  • Performance Space Description: Information about this venue has not yet been compiled; however, some sense of the performance space may be gleaned by following the links at right. In particular:


  • See the 'Bibliographic Sources' link for a provisional list of venue-relevant resources (both primary and secondary). Wherever possible (i.e. when the pertinent text is relatively short and/or easily condensed) this material has been transcribed, and appears beneath the appropriate bibliographic citation.


  • See the 'Events at venue' link for a listing of blackface/minstrelsy-related events that took place in this performance space (with attached bibliographic references).


    Beth Marquis

  • Troupes at Parthenon Rooms

    Troupe Troupe Type # of events
    Yankee Mellor Minstrel 1

    Events at Parthenon Rooms

    Event Date Venue Location Troupe
    Minstrel Show 1 February 1847 - 6 February 1847 Liverpool, Lancashire Yankee Mellor

    Bibliographic Sources

    • Broadbent, R.J. Annals of the Liverpool Stage. Liverpool: Edward Howell, 1908.

      p346.




      THE PARTHENON MUSIC HALL.
      It was in the early 'forties of the last century that the
      Parthenon in Great Charlotte Street first came into existence.
      In an advertisement for February 25, 1845, announcing a
      ball, the Royal Parthenon Assembly Rooms are described as
      being
      ' new and spacious.'
      At first the place was used for various kinds of entertainments.
      The Iowa Indians were on exhibition in March,
      1845, and Bianchi's wax-works in the following August.
      Exactly a year later the Rooms were under the direction of the
      proprietor, Mr. J. G. Stoll, who announced that ' an unrivalled
      company of dancing and vocal talent are nightly engaged.'
      There was no charge for admission, the '
      open sesame ' to the
      entertainment being the money paid for refreshments.
      Afterwards the hall was known as the Parthenon Music
      Saloon, and in 1850 as the Parthenon Rooms.” (346)



      “Early in 1904
      the hall was reconstructed internally, and made more commodious.
      In 1907 Mr. Smith severed his connection with
      the theatre. Afterwards the hall was styled the Theitre
      Moderne. Recently the building was acquired by Messrs.
      Henochsberg and Ellis, and converted into a clothing
      establishment.” (349).