Queen's Royal Theatre

Legend
map legend

Venue Type & Location

Theatre

Site Name: Queen's Royal Theatre
Location: Dublin
County: Dublin
Location Type: Town - in town at determined location

Overview

  • Address: Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street, site of Trinity College). For a current map, Click Here.


  • Alternate Names: New Olympic Circus, Adelphi Theatre, Royal Adelphi Theatre, Queen's Royal Theatre, Queen's Theatre of Varieties


  • Performance Space Description: Information about this venue has not yet been compiled; however, some sense of the performance space may be gleaned by following the links at right. In particular:


  • See the 'Bibliographic Sources' link for a provisional list of venue-relevant resources (both primary and secondary). Wherever possible (i.e. when the pertinent text is relatively short and/or easily condensed) this material has been transcribed, and appears beneath the appropriate bibliographic citation.


  • See the 'Events at venue' link for a listing of blackface/minstrelsy-related events that took place in this performance space (with attached bibliographic references).


    Beth Marquis

  • Troupes at Queen's Royal Theatre

    Events at Queen's Royal Theatre

    Event Date Venue Location Troupe
    Dramatic 22 September 1851 - 27 September 1851 Dublin, Dublin Castle Spectre Troupe (Dublin, 51)
    Dramatic 3 November 1851 - 8 November 1851 Dublin, Dublin Wigwam Troupe (Dublin, 51)

    Bibliographic Sources

    • Arthur Lloyd Website. 05/22/2008 (http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/)




      ”Queen's Theatre, Brunswick Street, Now Pearce Street, Dublin
      Formerly the New Olympic Circus / Adelphi Theatre / Royal Adelphi Theatre / Queen's Royal Theatre / Queen's Theatre of Varieties



      The Queen's Theatre, Dublin was built on the site several previous buildings of entertainment. The first on the site was the New Olympic Circus built by John Scott, which opened in 1823 and was demolished only six years later in 1829.



      The site was then used for the building of a new Theatre called the Royal Adelphi Theatre which opened the same year, 1829. This Theatre was demolished in 1844.



      Next came the Queen's Royal Theatre which was built on the site in 1844. This Theatre was remodeled in 1893 by the Architects William or R.J. Stirling. This Theatre was closed in 1907.



      In 1909 the Theatre was remodeled and rebuilt by Stirling and reopened as the Queen's Theatre. In 1951 it was stated that the Queen's Theatre had a Proscenium arch, full flying facilities & orchestra pit and seated 904 on 4 levels. The Theatre became the temporary home of the Abbey Theatre Company between 1951 and 1966.



      In 1966 the Queen's Theatre was closed when the Abbey Theatre Company moved out. In 1969 the Rank Organisation who then owned the building set about its demolition and a new building called Pearce House arose on the site. The site is now occupied by Trinity College teaching and research facilities.”
    • Lost Theatres in Ireland Website. 09/14/2008 (http://www.arts-info.co.uk/PAGES2/lt_IRELAND.htm)




      "1823 - New Olympic Circus, Brunswick Street. John Scott. Demolished in 1829.
      Rebuilt as Adelphi Theatre (Royal Adelphi Theatre) in 1829. Occasionally closed between 1830 & 1844. Demolished in 1844.
      Rebuilt & renamed Queen's (Royal) Theatre in 1844. Remodelled in 1893 (Architect: William or R.J. Stirling). Closed 1907.
      Remodelled, rebuilt and reopened by Stirling in 1909 as Queen's Theatre. Closed 1966 and demolished in 1969.
      The site is now occupied by Pearse House.
      {Queen's Theatre: Proscenium arch with full flying facilities & orchestra pit. Seated 904 on 4 levels. (1951).}
      {The Queen's Theatre became the temporary home of the Abbey Theatre Company between 1951 and 1966.}"
    • Morash, Christopher. A History of Irish Theatre, 1601-2000. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2002.

      pp xv, 106.