Royal Park Theatre

Legend
map legend

Venue Type & Location

Theatre

Site Name: Royal Park Theatre
Location: Liverpool
County: Lancashire
Location Type: Town - in town at determined location

Overview

  • Address: Parliament Street. For a current map, Click Here.


  • Performance Space Description: Information about this venue has not yet been compiled; however, some sense of the performance space may be gleaned by following the links at right. In particular:


  • See the 'Bibliographic Sources' link for a provisional list of venue-relevant resources (both primary and secondary). Wherever possible (i.e. when the pertinent text is relatively short and/or easily condensed) this material has been transcribed, and appears beneath the appropriate bibliographic citation.


  • See the 'Events at venue' link for a listing of blackface/minstrelsy-related events that took place in this performance space (with attached bibliographic references).


    Beth Marquis

  • Troupes at Royal Park Theatre

    Events at Royal Park Theatre

    Event Date Venue Location Troupe
    Variety 6 March 1843 - 11 March 1843 Liverpool, Lancashire Diamond, John
    Dramatic 1 November 1852 - 1 November 1852 Liverpool, Lancashire Uncle Tom's Cabin Troupe (Liverpool - Park, 52)

    Bibliographic Sources

    • Broadbent, R.J. Annals of the Liverpool Stage. Liverpool: Edward Howell, 1908.

      pp.267-8.



      ”THE ROYAL PARK THEATRE.
      The first playhouse opened in the south end of Liverpool
      was the Royal Park. It was situated in Parliament
      Street. It was opened on Monday, September 27, 1852, by
      Robert Edgar (husband of the clever tragedienne, Alice Marriott),
      with all the fittings and scenery which he had purchased
      on the closing of the Liver Theatre in Church Street.
      The building had originally been a guano store, but under
      Mr. Edgar's superintendence it was converted into an
      attractive place of amusement. It held at popular prices
      about 90. […]



      In October, 1859, Mr. John Campbell was the lessee of
      the house. After passing through several vicissitudes the
      building terminated its career as a theatre some few years
      ago, and like its Thespian neighbour, the Stanhope Theatre
      in Beaufort Street, is now used as a warehouse.” (267-8).